Protect your home and community from Wildfire.
These tips can help prepare you for wildfire season:
- Create a safety zone of up to 100 feet around your home.
- Remove pine needles and dry leaves from around your home.
- Keep woodpiles at least 30 feet from your home.
- Screen areas below decks and porches with 1/8” wire mesh to help prevent material from accumulating underneath.
- Cover exterior attic and soffit vents with 1/8” wire mesh to help prevent sparks from entering your home.
- Enclose eaves to help prevent ember entry
- Inspect shingles or roof tiles. Replace missing shingles or tiles. Cover ends of tiles with bird stops or cement to help prevent ember penetration during a wildfire.
- Plan and practice a home evacuation plan. Create a family communication plan.
Tips for Landscaping Around Your Home
- Remove dead vegetation and other flammable materials, especially within the first 5 feet of the home.
- Keep your lawn hydrated and maintained. If it is brown, cut it down to help reduce fire intensity.
- Prune tree limbs so the lowest branches are 6 to 10 feet above the ground to help reduce the chance of fire getting into the crowns of the trees.
- Move construction material, trash, and woodpiles at least 30 feet away from the home and other outbuildings.
- Dispose of branches, weeds, leaves, pine needles, and grass clippings that you have cut to reduce fuel for fire.
From the 2018 National Fire Protection Association / November 2018