Carbon Monoxide – The Silent Killer

social media card informing visitors to install and test CO alarms

You cannot see it.

You cannot smell it.

You cannot taste it.

“More than 400 people in the United States die from unintentional carbon monoxide poisoning every year, according to the centers for Disease Control and Prevention. More than 20,000 visit the emergency room, and more than 4,000 others are hospitalized.” National Safety Council

Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a deadly gas that is produced by fuel-burning heating equipment, such as furnaces, wood stoves, fireplaces, and kerosene heaters.

Washington State Carbon Monoxide Alarm Law (RCW 19.27.530)

View this law at

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning: headache, dizziness, fatigue, weakness, confusion, and nausea. Breathing in high levels of carbon monoxide can cause loss of consciousness and death. People who are sleeping can die from carbon monoxide poisoning before ever knowing they are being exposed to the gas. Animals are also at risk for carbon monoxide poisoning.

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Precautions

  • Have a trained professional inspect, clean and tune-up your home’s central heating system. Repair any leaks or other problems.
  • Fireplaces and woodstoves should also be inspected each year and cleaned or repaired as needed.
  • Keep gas appliances properly adjusted and serviced.
  • Never use an oven or range to heat your home.
  • Never use a gas or charcoal grill inside your home or in a closed garage.
  • If you need to warm a vehicle, remove it from the garage immediately after starting it. Do not run a vehicle or other fueled engine or motor indoors, even if garage doors are open.
  • A generator should be used in a well-ventilated location outdoors away from windows, doors and vent openings.
  • Gas or charcoal grills can produce CO – only use outside.
  • Have a professional chimney sweep clean and inspect chimneys annually.

For more information….

Carbon Monoxide Safety